Monday, March 15, 2010

Truely creative ideas



Truly creative ideas are so hard to come by, aren’t they? Our brains are consistently downloading a plethora of information on a daily basis, which makes it pretty tough to have an orginial, truly creative idea.

However, I love that God has designed our brains so uniquely to be able to think creatively. Think about all the incredible things around us simply because people at one time got a truly creative idea.

Somebody was walking around listening to their “walkman” or their portable CD player one day and thought, “I am tired of carrying around this brick-like music player and all my cassette tapes/CDs in my fanny pack when I want to listen to music on the go. There has to be a better more efficient way to listen to music on the go.” Because of somebody having that truly creative idea we all now enjoy incredibly convenient mp3 players such as iPods and Zunes. What a brilliant idea that made somebody millions.

Another person was probably working in a office trying to remember what all he/she needed to do before the end of that work day or wanted to find that phone number of that important sales lead he/she wrote down earlier in the day. He/she could not find the old envelope or scratch paper and their day was ruined. He/she thought, “there has to be a better way to do this” and a truly creative idea was born. He/she figured out that if he/she made small pieces of paper with a little adhesive on the top that could conveniently stick on the desk or cubicle, known to us now as Post-Its. Somebody made millions over that truly creative idea.

I have been trying to come up with a couple of truly, creative ideas. I know I have one somewhere in my brain. Here a couple that I have come up with already (by the way, don’t steal these unless you plan on giving me my share)…

1. CUSTOMIZABLE TV CHANNEL PACKAGES. Imagine a media company that offered TV channel packages of different sizes where you pick the TV channels you want. I get frustrated with my cable TV at my house. I only desire basic cable (no HD channels, no premium channels). The local cable company here has two options for you if you want basic cable. The cheapest one only goes to like channel 25, leaving out the most important channel, ESPN. However, to get ESPN I have to purchase a load of channels that goes all the way into the 70s and the price gets jacked up in the process. My truly creative idea is to offer channel packages of 10, 15, 20, etc. where you pick the channels you want and you only pay for the amount of channels you want. It would be cheaper than other cable providers as well as the convenience of channel surfing only the channels worth surfing for you. No more QVC channel, no more Oxygen channel, etc. Say you only wanted 16 channels but you did not want to pay for the 20-channel package. That’s cool. Simply order the 15-channel package and add one more channel for a small monthly fee. You only pay for what you want.

2. CEREAL MILK. What is cereal milk? You know when you eat a bowl of cereal and the milk that is left at the bottom of bowl that tastes so good when you finish? That is cereal milk. It really only works with really sweet, sugary cereals like Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops, etc. I couldn’t really see this one working with cereals like Fiber Plus and Raisin Bran. Obviously you would not get milk from an actual cereal bowl that somebody has already eaten because that would be gross. Maybe they could just marinate the cereal in some milk for a while then use that. This one I have not put as much thought into it as I have my other idea. However, it still sounds like it could work. Imagine going to the store and finding treats such as “Apple Jacks Milk”, “Lucky Charms Milk”, or “Fruity Pebbles Milk”. I think it would be gold.

What do you think of my truly creative ideas? Do you have any truly creative ideas tucked away somewhere in your brain that you would like to share? Let’s here them.

No comments: