Thursday, March 4, 2010

last nights sermon intro.

last night at Revolution we started a new series called superheroes of the bible: will you be a warrior or a wimp? I had to share my introduction to the sermon on Gideon with you all, so without taking anymore of your time up...

I grew up reading comic books about superheroes. I liked Superman, Batman, The Hulk, The Green Hornet, Aquaman and Spiderman. I always dreamed about being a superhero and would often run through the house wearing a cape. I was always intrigued by how the nerd was transformed into macho man and somehow the geek always ended up with the gorgeous girl.

Superheroes are still popular today. I haven’t kept up with the new action figures but I’m happy that the old standbys are hitting the big screen. The recently released “Spiderman” has become the fastest grossing movie ever.

Let me see how you do with this superhero quiz.

Q: Why do the Hulk’s tulips look so healthy?

A: Because he has a green thumb.

Q: Why won’t Captain America use the metric system?

A: He refuses to support a foreign ruler.

Q: Why was Aquaman angry with Aqualad?

A: His grades were below “C” level.

Q: Why didn’t the Joker join the Penguin’s club?

A: He thought it was for the birds.

Q: Where does Spiderman go for information?

A: The web.

Tonight were going to look at a superhero farmer who really enjoyed his trade. Unlike some farmers, he had no desire to be anything more than a farmer. He never had political ambitions, nor did he dream of becoming a military leader and yet God had a different plan for his life. I’m talking about Gideon – not the guy that wrote all the Bibles in the hotel rooms. The Gideon story in the Old Testament is unique in that it is the story of how God made a hero out of an unlikely person. It’s not just a story of great exploits; it is a transformation story as well.

No comments: