Friday, March 26, 2010

Is doubting God a sin?

Is it okay for Christians to doubt? Is doubting God a sin?

I was reading a music review recently of “You Found Me” by the Fray, a song that speaks of a man who believes in a loving God who searches for his lost children, but the lyrics themselves alternate between accusation, doubt, and belief, that said…

My understand of Scripture is that, yes, doubting God is sin. But let me clarify that. To doubt God is to say in our hearts, “I’m no longer convinced that God is God, that He is right or good or loving or powerful. I can’t say I believe in Him.”

In fact, you could define sin as doubting God: “Everything that does not come from faith is sin.” (Romans 14:23)

Faith is the opposite of doubt. Faith is trusting God: “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” (Hebrews 11:1)

Doubt, by definition, is being uncertain and unsure.

Having said that, we’re not talking about honest questions that come up when our belief in God is challenged. To ask those questions and seek real answers takes more faith, not less. And we’re also not talking about the feelings of disappointment we sometimes experience with the circumstances God allows.

Faith is the constant command of Jesus. Faith is the sole prerequisite of salvation. Faith in Jesus is how we are reconciled to God. Why all this emphasis on faith? Because if we believe in God, then we will act like we believe in God. That means that we will love God with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength, and we will love our neighbors as ourselves.

Doubt seems to have become highly valued in our society. It is a cornerstone of certain worldview perspectives. Some believe that science teaches we must doubt everything. Doubt is seen as a sign of intellectual maturity.


So what do you think? Any thoughts? Do you buy what this guy is saying? Is doubting God a sin?

Let me challenge you to step back and truly soak this in before answering. I think it is too easy to agree with whatever you naturally tend to be. For example, if you are prone to doubting, your first and normal reaction will be “no, of course not.” If you do not struggle with doubting, then your first and normal reaction will be “absolutely, doubt is a sin.” Do not choose your answer by what makes you feel better about your life. Choose your answer by what is true.

Is doubting God a sin?

1 comment:

Martin said...

Is doubting a sin? I don't know, what does it mean to doubt? Have I ever looked up and wondered if there really was a God, YES. Have I ever prayed for someone or myself and thought, this might not happen, YEAH. Faith is a choice, I choose to believe and in so doing, I choose to deny my doubts.

Now I have to admit, that God makes it easy. I can't deny Him when He's everywhere I look. I've always loved Him, even before I knew what that meant.

Why some find this choice harder then others, I don't know. My wish is that everyone would believe. I know that God has given everyone a measure of faith, so no one can say that they don't have enough faith to believe. I have to trust God, that in the end, it's not whether we can believe, but whether we choose to believe. As it's been since Adam and Eve, the choice is ours.