Friday, September 26, 2008

community

Last night I had a Bible study in my room we read acts 2:37-47. this passage is about fellowship with others. we were talking about fellowship and what it looks like and how we do it. I noticed as we were talking that we all talked about fellowship in the Bethany bubble. This is not a bad thing by no means but what are we training ourselves for when we get out of here? To be only in community with those friends around you or to venture out and get to know the community which surrounds you? I made a challenge to the people in that group to sit at a different cafe table and talk with someone they didnt already know.

I think I feel we need to connect with the Bethany community before we can connect with the outside community. Because how good are we gonna be at reaching out community if we dont even know each other. everyone brings something new and great to the table with them. Imagine if we were to get fifteen to twenty people together, each with there gifts and talents, and unite to reach Santa Cruz or Scotts Valley. We as Christians need to broaden our horizons and think about the unsaved more often. I do it too, I get in my routine and forget about everyone else. I do think that community with believers is important, but I also believe that if Christians arent out in the community it shows the community that we may not care about them.

I was also praying this morning during my devotion and God reminded me a question on this topic, If you were to not be here would the community even know it?

3 comments:

Steve Arnett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve Arnett said...

Community? Might want to change the spelling.

"If you were to not be here would the community even know it?"

I immediately took that as satan getting into our heads and building our ego, but then I thought about it a bit more and I can definitely see how I'd miss someone who was loving, always supportive, and there for me.

Steve Moore said...

steve you got at the heart of what I was meaning. God wants us in community with non believers. because of this we need to be outside of the four walls fo the church. its all about support, love and being there for lost, dying and hurting.