Monday, June 28, 2010

Daily Disciplines




How much of your day is consumed with disciplines?

Just to clarify, I am talking about those things in life that you intentionally do to make the quality of your life better, not the consequences from bad behavior.

When I start to think about it, day is full of disciplines. For example…

-When I wake up. The fact that I must use an alarm and not just allow my body to decide when it is ready to wake up takes some amount of discipline.

-Taking my 3 so-big-they-make-me-gag vitamins every morning.

-Consistently working out.

-Eating somewhat healthy.

-Being prepared and on time to daily meetings.

-Writing on this blog.

-Consistently updating social media.

-Setting my fantasy baseball lineup everyday.

-Keeping up with every detail of the LA Dodgers.

-Finding the perfect combination of preparing for the present and planning for the future of REVOLUTION.

-Daily connecting with God on a personal, one-on-one basis.

-Reading my Bible and keeping up with my current reading plan.

-Making wise, non-compulsive financial decisions daily.

-Being intentional about taking time to rest (take a Sabbath).

-Brushing my teeth at least three times a day.

-Going to bed at a decent hour (I’m really bad at this one).

I am not pointing these daily activities as one big pat on the back. Not at all.

Once I started thinking about how much of my time is spent doing something that requires discipline, I was pretty shocked. I realized that personal discipline is required from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep. The realization that if I am not intentional about everything, a lot of things will fall through the cracks. The fact remains that no matter how disciplined I become, I still need to be working on getting better.

What about you?

How much of your day is consumed with disciplines?

No comments: