Monday, June 21, 2010

Dear facebook...



Dear Facebook,

What’s up? How’s life? Things are going pretty well in Steve-world, but there are a couple of things we need to talk about.

We have been friends now for a few years. I have seen you grow up and mature over the years. I have seen you overtake Myspace as the #1 social media website. I have been been there every step of the way as you’ve made changes – some good, some bad. But it’s time we have an honest, one-on-one conversation.

I’ve been patient through these changes. I’ve sat through numerous changes to my wall and my news feed. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that I can invite my 700+ friends to a weekend cookout using the new events section. I love the fact that I can tell people who I don’t really talk to “Happy Birthday”. However, you’ve crossed the line.

I’ve started hanging out with another social media website. Her name is Twitter. She is pretty cool. We are just friends. I have not totally abandoned you for Twitter, but you’re not making this easy. I feel like you are jealous of our new friendship. If you would just give her a chance, I think you would really like her. It doesn’t have to be a competition. I can be friends with you BOTH. You could even work together like the good ole’ days when I first introduced you to each other.

Remember back in the day when I could update my Twitter and my Facebook status at the same time? One status update on two different social media websites working together to make my life easier. It was beautiful. Now, I update my Twitter and it shows up on my Facebook News Feed but not as a status update. Therefore, people who only look at their friends status updates are not seeing the Internet goodness that I am trying to communicate. You have put Twitter on the same level as Farmville and the Twilight Quizes. What happened between you two? You were working together so well.

We need to get this problem fixed as soon as possible for 2 reasons: 1) To make my social media life easier and 2) People need to read my status updates because I am that important. (Kidding…but really…I am…)

Sincerely,

Steve Moore

No comments: