Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hello my name is...



Hello, my name is…I AM NOT.

Let me explain…

In Exodus 3, Moses has a conversation with God through the burning bush. After God tells Moses that he is going to lead the Israelites out of Egyptian slavery, Moses asks Him to say who is sending him. God answers with His name, “I AM.”

As God’s name, it declares that He is unchanging, constant, unending, always present, always God.

God was telling Moses:

I AM the center of everything.
I AM running the show.
I AM the same every day, forever.
I AM the owner of everything.
I AM the Lord.
I AM the Creator and Sustainer of life.
I AM the Savior.
I AM more than enough.
I AM inexhaustible and immeasurable.
I AM God.

In a heartbeat, Moses knew God’s name – and something more. He finally knew his. For if God’s name is I AM, Moses’ name must be I AM NOT.

I AM NOT the center of everything.
I AM NOT in control.
I AM NOT the solution.
I AM NOT all-powerful.
I AM NOT calling the shots.
I AM NOT the owner of anything.
I AM NOT the Lord.

That’s my name, too. And yours. I AM NOT. Just try it under your breath, “My name is I AM NOT.”

I AM NOT running anything.
I AM NOT the head of anything.
I AM NOT in charge of anything.
I AM NOT the maker.
I AM NOT the savior.
I AM NOT holding it all together.
I AM NOT all-knowing.
I AM NOT God.

Sure, people might call you Tommy or Eddie or Amanda or Scott or Michelle or Erin or Kyle. But, let’s face it, when you get right down to it, all of our names are I AM NOT.

And God’s name is still I AM.

No comments: