Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Morning Run



On my run this morning, I just was not feeling it. I did not run faster than normal. I did not run farther than normal. In fact, nothing was significantly different than most of my runs. It was just one of those days where my feet felt heavy from the first step and I knew it was going to be a struggle just to keep my feet moving. It was going to take all the discipline and will-power I had to get through the run. Nevertheless, I decided to tough it out, grit my teeth, and run.

You ever have those days?

Have you ever had those days spiritually?

You know those days. The days where nothing seems to be different than your normal routine. Those days where you begin to become tired and bored from the mundane, normalcy of life. Those days where nothing necessarily bad is happening, but nothing necessarily good is happening either. Maybe you are waking up after a night’s sleep and immediately feeling tired. Maybe you have no energy or drive to thrive and make a difference at your work/school. You know that getting through the day connected to your Heavenly Father is going to take all the discipline and will power you have inside you, but you do not know if you have it today. You feel tired, weary, burdened, and that you have heavy spiritual feet during these times.

Back to my run this morning…

I was struggling and pushing through the blah of the run this morning. During the final stretch of the run when everything inside of me told me to quit, I was reminded of who I was and whose I was. Through my iPod came a powerful song full of truth at just the right time, “Nothing Without You” by Bebo Norman. If you are tired, let the words of this powerful song minister to you and remind you of who you are and whose you are…

Take these hands and lift them up
For I have not the strength to praise You near enough
For I have nothing, I have nothing without You

Take my voice and pour it out
Let it sing the songs of mercy I have found
For I have nothing, I have nothing without You

All my soul needs
Is all Your love to cover me
So all the world will see
That I have nothing without You

Take my body and build it up
May it be broken as an offering of love
For I have nothing, I have nothing without You

All my soul needs
Is all Your love to cover me
So all the world will see
That I have nothing
But I love You

With all my heart
With all my soul
With all my mind
With all the strength that I can find

Take my time here on this earth
And let it glorify all that You are worth
For I am nothing,
I am nothing without You

May you run and not grow faint today. Remember Jesus’ words today from Matthew 11:28,“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

___________________

The song that followed “Nothing Without You” was “I'm Lion-0” by Relient K, but I couldn’t find any deep, spiritual application from that song.

No comments: