Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Light Always Wins!

“God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.” – 1 John 1:5

“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” – John 8:12

“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.” – Ephesians 5:8

“You are the light of the world.” – Matthew 5:14

Nyctophobia is the fear of the dark or of night. Achluophobia is the fear of darkness. I remember as a child that I was a little scared of the dark – a minor case of Achluophobia if you will. For years after my parents had tucked me in for the night, I had to make sure that there either my door was cracked open or that my night light was turned on. For some reason that small amount of light always made me feel better.

I do not think I am alone in my fear of darkness. In fact, there are many companies and people that make a living off people being scared of the dark such as night light companies, hypnotists, and even a smart phone flashlight app.

Being in darkness can be scary. Being in the darkness makes you feel extremely uncomfortable. You feel unsure about yourself. You feel trapped. You feel paralyzed because if you move you might bump into something and hurt yourself.

So why do we feel so much better when a Winnie the Pooh night light is on? Because light always wins!

Try this sometime: go into a large room that you can make absolutely pitch black. Make it as dark as you can in that room. After you fill the room with darkness, take a tiny light – either a small flashlight or even the backlight on your cell phone – and turn it on. What happens? What immediately can you see? The light instantly defeats the darkness. You can be in a room full of darkness, but the smallest light will win everytime. Light can never be defeated by darkness. It just is not possible. Light always wins.

My life is affected by this realization in two ways:

First, Jesus is the light of the world. There are times when I feel like my life is full of darkness. There are times when I choose to be in darkness. However, the light of Jesus defeats that darkness everytime. He is undefeated. He does not lose. I will never hang out in the darkness again because Jesus is the light of my life. There is always hope.

Also, when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we become the little lights in the darkness of the world. We are able to bring the light into dark situations. Whenever there are people in darkness around me, I bring hope, truth, and light to the darkness. Why? Because I have the light and light always defeats darkness.

No matter how dark a situation you may be seems. Remember…

LIGHT ALWAYS WINS!

No comments: