Friday, October 29, 2010

Spiritual Coffee



When I was a kid, I distinctly remember being told, “Steven, do not drink coffee because it will stunt your growth.”

It turns out that health tip is more fiction than fact. MSNBC.com says so. Teenhealthfx.com says so. Kidshealth.org says so. And we all know that the Internet never lies.

For years, I would not even touch the stuff out of fear of not growing and looking like a gnome. I had no clue if that saying is true. I did not research that advice before following it. (I did, however, end up 6’ without ever touching the stuff, so I thought it was true.) However, I cared enough to stay away from something that could potentially stunt my growth.

As I was thinking through this subject, I began to realize that people have been telling me for years to stay away from certain things that would stunt my spiritual growth – kind of like spiritual coffee. Sometimes I would listen to the advice. Other times I would ignore that advice and just try to get by on my own.

Have you been ever been there?

Let me share what I have found to be 3 spiritual coffees that will stunt your spiritual growth:

1. NOT COMMUNICATING WITH GOD. Would you ever be in a relationship with another person that you considered to be a strong relationship where you never talked or communicated with that person? Of course not! Realize that you are in a relationship with God – a real talking/listening relationship. A relationship requires communication to maintain health and stability. Talk to God. Read His Word. Communicate!

2. NOT BEING CONNECTED TO THE BODY. The church is often compared in the Bible to a body. The different people in the church are the body parts that work together in one unit. It is impossible for a part of the body to work and become what it should be apart from the body. You have something specific and unique to bring to the Body of Christ. Whether you are a arm, a nose, an eye, or toenail in the Body of Christ, the Body is not complete unless you are connected. However, the same applies with you. You cannot grow and become what God wants you to be unless you are connected to the Body. Connecting with people who share and encourage your faith is vital for growth. Get involved and stay connected!

3. BITTERNESS IN YOUR HEART. If you are unable to forgive other people or give second chances, you will stunt your own spiritual growth. Ephesians 4:31 (NIV) says to “get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.” Having a white-knuckled grip on bitterness, anger, and grudges limit our spiritual growth. We must get bitterness and anger out of our hearts and forgive others as Christ has forgive us.

What’s the spiritual coffee in your life that is stunting your spiritual growth?

May the Lord reveal those things to us today and give us the strength and the courage to initiate change in our lives today. Have a great day. Bless God!

No comments: