Friday, October 15, 2010

thought-provoking quote

Listening to a podcast recently, I heard this quote:

“What you make optional in life, you will eventually stop doing.”

I have not been able to shake this quote since hearing it. It has me thinking. Over and over again I have been asking myself, “Is this quote true?”

After thinking long and hard about that question, I have come to believe that the answer is yes. Let’s think about this…

For example, let’s take a look at the half marathon im planning on running being in, in june 2011. As of today, I have been training for 3 weeks for this race. Because training has been optional, there have been times when I have made excuses to cut corners or simply stop running – a tight hamstring, no energy, not enough sleep, bad weather, stomach problems, etc. It has been a weekly battle to keep waking up and pounding the pavement. However, something changed last Friday… I officially registered for the marathon. Now training is not optional. I have broken down and paid the entrance fee and there is no turning back. When the alarm goes off that june morning for the dreaded 13.1-mile run, there is no doubt in my mind that I will be ready to run. It does not matter what the situation, I will running because now it is not optional.

Let’s take a look at another example…

What about church? Is church optional for you and your family? Being involved and working full-time for a church, I have seen many people where church is optional. When something is not easy or convenient - staff member change, leadership disagreement, a shift in direction of a ministry, etc – I have seen way too many people walk away from the church. It became optional. If church is optional for you, you will eventually stop going.

I hope you chew on this quote like I have. Test it. See for yourself if it is true. Tell me if you think it is wrong. Tell me why you think it is wrong. I would love to hear your thoughts on this…

“What you make optional in life, you will eventually stop doing.”

No comments: