Tuesday, February 23, 2010

preaching breakfast




Never thought God would remind of one of his timeless truths through breakfast, but he did. That is what I get for putting God in a box.

After my workout this morning, I decided to make breakfast before work. The menu called for 2 scrabled eggs an apple. I reached into the refrigerator and picked out what looked to be the freshest, best apple. As I began to cut into the apple, the inside was rotten and a very dark brown.

I then simply asked, “How can an apple that looks that good be so bad on the inside?”

I replied, “That will preach.”(yes I talk to myself)

Nobody wants to eat a rotten apple, no matter how appetizing it may look on the outside. Nobody wants to drive a car with a jacked up engine, no matter how amazing it may look on the outside. Nobody wants to live in a house that is completely destroyed on the inside, even if it is the most beautiful house in the entire neighborhood.

What’s on the inside really matters – to us and to God.

Are you on the outside a reflection of what is on the inside? Does the inside of you match the outside of you? If there is any part of your life that looks like the apple from my breakfast (awesome on the outside, but dead on the inside), let me encourage you not be content with living life like that.

This morning’s apple experience reminded me of Hillsong United’s song “Inside Out” where it says, “My heart and my soul, Lord I give you control. Consume me from the inside out, Lord. Let justice and praise become my embrace. To love you from the inside out.“

That is my prayer today.

No comments: