Thursday, February 24, 2011

Skipping Church If You Catch Even a Whiff of a Guest Speaker



Here is a small exert from Stuff Christians Like, a Seinfeld-ish observational Christian comedy book by Jonathan Acuff.

Unless I know there’s going to be some sort of animal show involved – maybe called Noah’s Bark, with a group of traveling dogs that reenact Bible stories – I’m probably going to skip the guest speaker at church.

I know I’m not the only one who does this because the parking lot and the sanctuary are significantly emptier when the senior pastor isn’t there. I think my church is started to catch on though, because they’re getting pretty tricky about telling us when the senior pastor is actually going to be in the building. Using video sermons and live feeds and satellite campuses, they’re shuffling him all over the place like the president during a terrorist threat. You never actually know where he is until you get there.

And sometimes you’ll even get there, see him do the announcements, and then voila, a guest speaker magically materializes on stage. Clearly they’re on to us.


That being said…I’m going to be the guest speaker Sunday, April 10, 2011 at First AG fairfield

No comments: