Wednesday, March 26, 2008

what is a cleveland brown?

A Bengal is a tiger
And a fast plane is a Jet.
A Cowboy comes from Texas
And a Raider's tough I'll bet.

A Viking's from the frigid north.
Seahawks live near the sea.
All are names of football teams,
Just like they ought to be.

But there's one name that makes no sense
It causes me to frown
Can anyone enlighten me?
Just what's a Cleveland Brown?!

I don't know if it is true,
But I think I've heard a theory;
That Cleveland named its team
After the color of Lake Erie.

Brown does not describe
A big and strong athletic man.
It's what's inside the diaper
Of a baby Steeler's fan.

The guy who named this football team
Must be the Cleveland clown
Who else would think to call
A football warrior a Brown!!

If I'd been born in Cleveland
And there my life was spent,
I'd find another team to cheer
From pure embarrassment.

I myself, have always loved
The Steelers Black and Gold.
I did when I was very young,
And I will when I am old.

But why's this name an adjective
When it should be a noun?
Can anybody tell me
What the heck is a Cleveland Brown?!

3 comments:

bobby said...

It's a dude that works for UPS...duh!

James said...

The Browns were named after legendary Head Coach Paul Brown...probably the greatest football coach ever. He took a bunch of service men serving in the Great Lakes area during WW II and molded them in to a team that went on....after the war.... to play in the All American League....beat everybody. When they merged with the NFL...their first game was against the previous years NFL champion Phil. Eagles and Steve Van Buren (now hall of famer) They beat the Eagles like 56-0 and silenced the "minor league" term the NFL had thrown at them for years. The Browns went on to win NFL Championships.

I think it is a cool name and it stands for something more than a dumb animal.

My family is from Cleveland and I was born near there...moved out to So Cal in 1954 at the age of 7.

God Bless.....Walk in the Spirit

Steve Arnett said...

Steve-o, you rock. I'm not a sports fa, as you well know, but I enjoyed that for it's comedic value :)