Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Sun




The Sun is the star at the center of our solar system. It has the diameter of about 1,392,000 km, about 109 times that of Earth. About three quarters of the Sun’s mass consists of hydrogen, while the rest is mostly helium. Less than 2% consists of heavier elements, including oxygen, carbon, neon, iron, and others.

The Sun is approximately 149.6 million kilometers from the Earth. At this distance, light travels from the Sun to Earth in about 8 minutes and 19 seconds. The energy of this sunlight supports almost all life on Earth, driving Earth’s climate and weather.

I am amazed by the Sun.

I remember when I was living in Minnesota and a massive snow storm came in leaving 6 inches of snow on the ground and freezing temperatures. To be nice I thought I would try shoveling snow for the first time ever. I checked the weather before going outside and saw that the temperature was a cool 15 degrees, so I bundled up and went out to brave the cold.

As I was shoveling the snow off my driveway, something caught my eye. Despite the 15 degree weather (well below freezing), the Sun was actually melting the snow. As insignificant as that may sound, I was amazed that the Sun was stronger than the surrounding circumstances.

I was reminded of a simple, yet profound truth…

In the same way, Jesus (the Son) is stronger than my surrounding circumstances…even if it seems improbable or impossible. I know it is a bit cheesy and cliche, but truth is truth. And this truth hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday.

If you happen to be reading this and you are going through a difficult season, know that Jesus is stronger than your surrounding circumstances. No matter what you are going through, the Son is stronger.

No comments: