Saturday, July 2, 2011

God is a dude, you know?

“Is worship a priority to you?” a pastor asked a man over breakfast.
“I think it is. I don’t quite understand it to be honest with you. In fact, I’m a little uncomfortable at times. If you are talking about the time in the service where we stand and sing and some people raise their hands and move around a bit, that…um…freaks me out a little,” the man replied in an incredibly insecure, unconfident, and confused way.

The pastor, seeing the man’s confusion over what worship truly is, decided to ask another question to help clarify the first question, “Have you ever been in love?”

Knowing where the pastor was going, the man quickly responded, “Yes, I have been in love…but not with a guy! You’re telling me that I need to fall in love with God. In worship, they sing about intimacy with a guy, and that just freaks me out. God is a dude, you know? I don’t know how to respond to that.”
_______________


I think most of us – especially men – can relate to these feelings. Falling in love with God is a totally foreign concept to us. It scares us. It intimidates us. It may even freak us out.

When you fell in love, did that change your priorities at all? What happens is that our lives and schedules get as busy as possible. Life is happening. At that point of our lives, we are not ready for a relationship. We do not have time for much more. During those times, “IT” happens. That special guy/girl comes along and you fall in love. All of a sudden in a crowded schedule, you find room for that special guy/girl. You find time. You find ways to express your love to that special guy/girl. Has that ever happened to you?

Worship at its simplest form is expressing love towards God.
_______________


“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” – Mark 12:30 (NIV)

No comments: