Sunday, May 30, 2010

Confessions of a Blogger

I have been blogging since September 2007. By no means does 33 months of blogging qualify me as a blogging expert. I do not have this whole blogging thing figured out. However, in the past 33 months I have learned a thing or two about blogging and myself in the process.

I get asked from time-to-time for blogging tips from prospecting bloggers. So without further adieu, here are the things that I have learned about blogging and myself in what I call…Confessions of a Blogger.

My #1 blogging rule: Don’t take yourself too seriously. I’m not that special or important. I am not entitled anything from anybody because I have a blog.

A big temptation with blogging and all social networking media is narcissism. Fight being narcissistic in blogging.

Blogging is a discipline for me just like eating healthy, working out, Bible study, and prayer.

Blogging is very therapeutic for me.

I’m much better with a computer and Internet than paper and pen. Blogging is basically a journal with accountability. I was always terrible at writing in a journal. I tried many times but never was consistent. Blogging changed that.

In 2o months, there have been over 89,300 total views, 105 comments, and 198 posts. I have no clue if that is good or not.

My busiest day on the blog was Friday, August 15, 2008 with 666 views. This bothers me greatly and I would really like this number to change.

I know blogging is very 2005 and already outdated, but I like it much better than
other social networking websites like Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter.

I use other social networking websites (like Facebook and Twitter) to funnel more people to my blog. I direct people from both websites at strategic times of the day – morning, before lunch, after lunch, late afternoon, and night.

I view blogging as part of my ministry.
You need to write consistently to have a more successful blog.
Post lots of pictures on your blog to get more views. (Google Images will find them on searches.)

Deep down, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE getting blog comments. They bring me joy and motivation to keep writing…seriously.

I write about a number of different subjects. I don’t ever want my writing to be predictable.

I am amazed at all the random strangers that stumble onto my blog. In those moments, it becomes even more clear to me that blogging is part of my ministry.

If YOURNAME.com is available, I recommend purchasing the domain name. It is affordable (especially through WordPress). It feels a little weird, but you never know if you will need it in the future. Don’t let someone grab it first.

While I love getting blog comments, I hate getting spam comments.

I could go on and on. However, I want you to share your confessions. I’m sure I’ll add some more of my confessions to the comment section as I think of them.

Comments? Questions? Confessions?

No comments: